The Assembly Member for the New Nkusukum electoral area in Mankessim in the Mfantsiman Municipality of the Central Region, Mr. Samuel Baidoo, has blamed the Tuesday Mankessim Market fire on the negligence of authorities.
Mr. Baidoo said the market gutting by fire could have been prevented if authorities made available necessary equipment for fire prevention.
“I’d say the Mfantsiman Municipal District inaction caused this. It is always in the news fire has gutted markets in the country but the District did not plan for such disaster,’ he said on Adwenekasa on Wednesday morning.
Speaking to Kwaku Owusu Adjei in an interview on Original 91.9FM, the New Nkusukum assemblyman indicated that the district has failed to provide basic fire prevention equipment due to zero fire outbreaks in the municipality noting that, if it was available, the security guards could have contained the situation before the arrival of personnel from the Ghana National Service.
“We needed to provide the security at the market with fire extinguishers. Aside from that, there’s no standpipe to help quench fire when there’s an outbreak.”
“If they had a standing pipe or fire extinguishers the security guards could quench the fire. Due to its unavailability, the guards had to search for help when it occurred,” Mr. Baidoo stated.
He further called on the leaders of the Mfantsiman Municipality in the Central Region to put in place measures to avoid future fire outbreaks in the Municipality.
On Tuesday, April 20, 2021, a fire gutted parts of the Mankessim Market destroying several properties.
The incident which happened around 11 pm local time affected over 20 containers including five cold stores.
Some of the traders in the market said they first saw smoke coming from one of the affected containers after fluctuations in power supply.
By: Bernard Ralph Adams | originalfmonline.com | Ghana